Commercial & Multi-family Unit Recycling
Last Content Update:
Citrus Heights Municipal Code
State law Assembly Bill (AB) 939 requires that 50% of the waste generated in Citrus Heights be diverted away from landfills. There are 3 ways to accomplish this:
- Source Reduction - a preventive approach; reducing the amount of waste generated in the first place
- Recycling - using materials and products that are recyclable, and recycling them instead of throwing them in the trash
- Compost Programs
Under state law AB 341, businesses generating 4 cubic yards or more of commercial garbage per week must arrange for recycling services with one of the City's franchised commercial haulers.
Additionally, multi-family properties with five or more units must arrange for recycling services.
Beginning January 1, 2022, all businesses will be required to subscribe to recycling services under state law Senate Bill (SB) 1383.
As of July 1, 2020, AB 827 requires all businesses (except full-service restaurants) to provide organics and recycling bins at the front of the house to collect food scraps and recycling.
Commercial Organic Waste and Recycling Temporary Exemptions
Organic Waste Temporary Exemption
Reasons for alternative organic waste compliance or exemption may include, but are not limited to:
- Your business shares an organic waste cart with a neighboring business
- Your business produces less that 20 gallons of organic waste per week
- You may self-haul your organics or have a service, such as a landscaper, that hauls for you
Recycling Temporary Exemption
Commercial Recycling Compliance Inspections
To obtain a temporary recycling exemption, a site inspection is required. This visit takes approximately 15 minutes during which a city employee will confirm that the business has a recycling plan in place, as required by AB 341 (business recycling) and AB 1826 (organics waste recycling). The inspector will also educate the business to help ensure that recyclables are properly separated and managed, that there is proper signage, and that employees are knowledgeable regarding commercial recycling requirements.
Commercial business can use this form to apply for organic and/or recycling exemptions: Alternative Compliance or Temporary Exemption
Garbage, Recycling & Organic Recycling Service Providers
The following companies are franchised garbage and recycling service providers for the City of Citrus Heights:
- Advance Disposal, Inc. - 916-444-8676
- Atlas Disposal Industries, LLC - 916-455-2800
- Greenwaste of Sacramento - 916-429-9900
- Republic Services - 916-631-0600
- Waste Removal and Recycling - 916-453-1400
Companies Offering Recycling Services
- AAA Recycling Services - 916-518-0222
- C & C Green Services - 916-806-8696
- California Electronic Asset Recovery (CEAR) - 916-388-1777
- International Paper - 916-371-4634
- Modern Waste Solutions - 916-339-3676
- Recycling Industries, Inc. - 916-452-3961
- Rock-Tenn Recycling and Waste Solutions - 916-381-3340
- Sacramento Regional Conservation Corps - 916-386-8394
- Sims Recycling Solutions, Inc. - 916-772-5681
- Southside Unlimited - 916-387-8080
- Spencer Building Maintenance - 916-992-1900