Wildlife Services

If humans are in immediate physical danger from an aggressive animal, call 911.

Living With Wildlife

The Sacramento Valley is home to a diverse animal population. Stray cats and nuisance wildlife often coexist in the greenbelts surrounding and within Citrus Heights. This coexistence can lead to unwanted behaviors as well as increasing exposure to diseases such as rabies and feline leukemia. Unfortunately, for these animals entering the shelter, their outlook becomes a grim and costly reality.

If we all do our part, nuisance wildlife issues will decrease, stray cat problems can be reduced, and along with saving lives you'll be saving money - yours and your neighbors!

Three factors have had a major influence on the surge in nuisance wildlife and cat complaints during the last several years:
  1. Mild winters and late rains kept natural resources bountiful. Similarly, during drought conditions, Irrigation run-off from overwatered lawns, hoses left on, wading pools, etc., attract animals especially in the summer heat.
  2. Unaltered, stray cats abandoned due to a rough economy continue breeding.
  3. Well-intentioned stray cat and wildlife feeding including bird seed attracts skunks, squirrels, and raccoons as well as cats hunting birds.
Fortunately, we can all do a little and make a lot of difference. Here are a few key actions we can all take:
  • Be responsible for your own pets. Spay / neuter and vaccinate your pets, especially outdoor cats. Low cost spay/neuter and vaccination assistance programs are available.
  • License and micro-chip your pets. Help them find their way home.
  • Avoid feeding pets outdoors. If you feed pets outdoors, remove leftovers when your pet has finished, and remove feeding dishes no later than dusk.
  • Eliminate hiding spots. Keep shrubbery trimmed at least 8 inches above the ground, remove junk and wood piles from your yard, etc.
  • Clear fallen fruit and secure compost / garbage bin lids.
  • Use motion-sensing sprinklers to deter animals from entering your yard.
  • If you choose to feed strays, go the next step and adopt them, giving them a permanent home of their own.  Several county and city programs can assist with stray or feral cats being spayed or neutered. Call CHAS for more information 916-725-7387.

Nuisance Wildlife

While we should strive to live in harmony with the wildlife that live in our creek areas and greenbelts, there are times when, despite trying to follow the above guidelines, wild animals still try to lay claim to areas of your property. 

Anyone seeking assistance with the trapping of healthy wildlife on private property should contact a commercial trapper or wildlife nuisance management company. There are multiple commercial wildlife  trappers in the greater Sacramento area. Search the web or your local phone book under wildlife trapping  or under nuisance wildlife control to find a local service provider. 

California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Hunting / game animals and wild fowl such as turkeys, deer, mountain lions, and coyotes fall under the jurisdiction of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. Please contact the Department of Fish and Wildlife at 916-358-2900 if you are having problems with:
You can also visit the Department of Fish and Wildlife's website for great tips on dealing with wildlife.

The Wildlife Incident Reporting Tool gives the user the ability to: 
  • Report an observation involving species of interest to the Department of Fish and Wildlife
  • Report nuisance activity and/or property damage involving wildlife, which may result in the issuance of a depredation permit (permit to capture and relocate, or kill, animals creating property damage and/or a public safety hazard) for species requiring them by California Codes and Regulations
  • Download depredation permits approved by CDFW biologists or game wardens for printing
  • Report carcass information for animals taken/killed by depredation permit as required by permit rules of use

All reports may be entered, viewed and/or updated, and printed. Submit a wildlife incident report to CDFW .